There’s no denying that chocolate chips are a pantry staple for many. Whether you’re adding them to cookies or just snacking on them straight from the bag, chocolate chips are a versatile ingredient that can be used in a variety of ways. However, many store-bought chocolate chips are loaded with additives and preservatives that can take away from the natural flavor of cacao. That’s why we’re here to show you how to make your own chocolate chips from raw cacao.
Why Make Your Own Chocolate Chips?
By making your own chocolate chips, you can ensure that the ingredients are simple and wholesome. Not only will you know exactly what’s going into your chocolate chips, but you can also customize the sweetness level to your liking. Many store-bought chocolate chips are also not vegan-friendly, so making your own ensures that they are suitable for everyone.
Read more: How to Make Raw Chocolate Brownies
Ingredients You Will Need
To make homemade chocolate chips, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1 cup raw cacao nibs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or your preferred sweetener
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- Begin by melting your coconut oil over low heat in a small saucepan. Once it’s fully melted, remove it from the heat and let it cool for a few minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the raw cacao nibs, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and salt until well combined.
- Once the coconut oil has cooled slightly, add it to the cacao nibs mixture and stir until everything is well combined.
- Pour the chocolate mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Use a spatula to spread it out into an even layer.
- Place the baking sheet in the freezer for about 30-45 minutes or until the chocolate has hardened.
- Once the chocolate is fully hardened, use a knife to cut it into small pieces to create your chocolate chips.
And that’s it! You now have your own homemade chocolate chips that are naturally sweetened and free from any additives or preservatives.
To store your homemade chocolate chips, simply place them in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer. They will last for several weeks in the fridge and up to a few months in the freezer.
Read more: How to Make Chocolate Bars From Raw Cacao
If you want to switch up the flavor of your homemade chocolate chips, there are a few variations you can try:
- Add in a tablespoon of coconut butter for added creaminess
- Use honey instead of maple syrup for a different flavor profile
- Sprinkle in some chopped nuts or dried fruit for added texture
Making your own chocolate chips from raw cacao is a fun and easy way to enjoy a sweet treat without the guilt. Not only are they delicious, but they’re also free from any additives or preservatives. Give this recipe a try and let us know in the comments how yours turned out!