Chickens do not like Black Friday. For one, the idea of being crammed into a warehouse store with a whole bunch of other members of their species just sounds too much like factory farming. They are also disturbed by the changes in prices. Chickens do not like change, you know.
Accordingly, they recommend skipping Black Friday and shopping locally on Small Business Saturday. It's much better. No warehouses, the pace is slower and the food is much better. I recommend it too. It's an easy way to strengthen our local economy and find unique gifts. And the chickens are right about the food.
Where to shop locally on Saturday
Local artisans and business go crazy making their stores beautiful and setting up special events for the holidays. Trust me, this is a lot more fun than getting trampled in a chain store.
- Check out the first Colorado Farm and Art Winter Market of the season from 10AM - 2PM tomorrow at Ivywild School. (You can shop with them again next week at the Margarita at Pine Creek Holiday Market too!)
- Enjoy Handmade Holiday, an art festival with local handmade art and food at the Manitou Art Center from 4PM - 9PM tomorrow.
- Old Colorado City, home to dozens of locally owned businesses, hosts their Christmas Stroll tomorrow, with strolling musicians, carolers and pictures with Santa!
- It's not too late to go skating in Acacia Park downtown while doing your holiday shopping at a myriad of locally owned shops, including the Rocky Mountain Soap Market, featured in the next section.
- Downtown Monument has special eventsfor the next three weekends. That place, with its charm and cute little shops, always makes me feel like I'm in a movie.
- If you're not in the mood to go out, shop online at Radiantly Raw and buy some chocolate!
Colorado Springs Local Businesses
Rocky Mountain Soap Market
I love soap. Not only does it keep me clean, but it also makes the bathroom smell nice. I had the pleasure of spending lots of time smelling the soap at the new Rocky Mountain Soap Market on Tejon St. and interviewing the owner while she made lotion. Click to read about this fun shop! And then go get some of your own almond biscotti coffee soap ... 'cause I'm not sharing mine!
Colorado Springs Events to know about...
Here are a few other things you might like to know:
- I am teaching a second class on how to store potatoes for winter on Sunday December 7 at Hunt or Gather. Learn how to save $80 on organic potatoes by ordering in bulk and using this simple technique to keep them from sprouting or rotting. You can order local, organic potatoes in bulk at Hunt or Gather after the class.
- Radiantly Raw Chocolates will team up with Urban Steam Coffee Bar & Cafe on December 11 for an event celebrating the launch of their online store. Stop in from 6:00 PM - 10:00 PM. They'll have Beer & Chocolate Pairings, samples of their newest seasonal truffles and more! Click here for details.
- Visit the Christmas Around the World Festival at Hillside Community Center on December 20. They'll have interactive cultural activities, music and a holiday shopping boutique. They'll also have a vendor that is a favorite of me and my dog, Angela's Cupcakes & Pupcakes. We both get treats whenever we see Angela.
Do you know about other events involving locally owned businesses? Let us know!Colorado Springs Local Foods Meetup Outings
Are you interested in exploring the local food scene? Join the Colorado Springs Local Foods Meetup and receive invitations to local events, volunteer outings and visits to locally owned restaurants. It's free to join and we even have some free events!
- The first Colorado Farm and Art Winter Market takes place on Saturday, Nov. 29 inside the gymnasium at Ivywild School. Come when you can, but I'll be at the Principal's Office greeting members from 9:30 AM - 10:00 AM.
- We love dessert! Join us at the Mona Lisa for Dessert Fondue on Tuesday, Dec. 2!I've removed the RSVP limit on this meetup. Go sign up if you got closed out!
- We'll be at the annual Colorado Farm and Art Market Holiday Market at the Margarita at Pine Creek on December 6, from 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM. This is a lot of fun! Come when you can!
- Learn to store locally grown, organic potatoesand save a shocking amount of money at Hunt or Gather on Sunday Dec. 7 at 11AM.
Copyright © 2014 Hungry Chicken Homestead, All rights reserved.